adonthell-general

Re: [Adonthell-general] configure.in:166: warning: macro `AM_PATH_SDL2'

From: shirish शिरीष
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] configure.in:166: warning: macro `AM_PATH_SDL2' not found in library
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 20:47:06 +0530

in-line :-

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 19:58, Kai Sterker <address@hidden> wrote:
> 2012/2/16 shirish शिरीष <address@hidden>:
>
> See below.
>
>> After a long time I tried to configure adonthell and was hit by this
>> during the autogen.sh stage itself :-
> [...]
>> configure.in:166: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PATH_SDL2
>
> That's the macro provided by sdl2.m4, provided it's in a location
> where aclocal will find it (usually in /usr/share/aclocal/). If SDL2
> is not present on the system, you'll get that error but configure
> should still run. I believe I tested that case.
>
>> configure.in:175: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PATH_SDL
>
> That's the macro provided by SDL 1.2 and if you see this error, it
> means SDL 1.2 is not installed properly either. With neither SDL 1.2
> or 2.0 present, configure will definitely fail.
>
> If you're sure that SDL 1.2 is installed, search for sdl.m4. If that's
> nowhere to be found, you might need to install a development package
> for SDL. If it's located somewhere else than the standard aclocal
> directory, run 'aclocal -I /path/to/sdl.m4/' before running
> autogen.sh.

hmm.... ok. Let's see :-

$ dpkg -l libsdl1.2debian
||/ Name                    Version                 Description
+++-=======================-=======================-==============================================================
ii  libsdl1.2debian         1.2.15-1                Simple DirectMedia Layer

$ dpkg -l libsdl1.2-dev
||/ Name                    Version                 Description
+++-=======================-=======================-==============================================================
ii  libsdl1.2-dev           1.2.15-1                Simple DirectMedia
Layer development files

so both sdl1.2 packages are installed. I also have sdl1.3 package
installed but not the dev. one as except for yours none of the other
games I am pulling from various repositories have moved from SDL
1.3/2.0 .

Anyways, on a hunch I just went to /usr/share/aclocal and grepped there :-

$ ls -l /usr/share/aclocal | grep sdl.m4
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   6510 Jan 27 17:15 sdl.m4

so it seems its installed there.  I also ran an apt-file search just
in case and saw this.

$ apt-file search sdl.m4
libsdl-1.3-dev: /usr/share/aclocal/sdl.m4
libsdl1.2-dev: /usr/share/aclocal/sdl.m4

I also checked for libsdl-1.3-dev (maybe just in case I  had installed
it and forgotten)

 $ apt-show-versions -a libsdl-1.3-dev
Not installed
libsdl-1.3-dev 1.3.0~20111204-1 experimental ftp.debian.org
No stable version
No testing version
No unstable version
libsdl-1.3-dev not installed

As can be seen its not installed.

I guess the only thing remaining is to run

aclocal -I /usr/share/aclocal/sdl.m4/ before running the autogen.sh

> In general, the aclocal stuff is still a bit of a mystery to me.
> What's a good way to make sure people don't run into such problems,
> especially for packages that are optional like SDL 2? OTOH, with an
> official source tarball, the configure script is present already and
> there's no need to run autogen.sh. But for people building directly
> from GIT, how can autogen.sh be made more foolproof?

Have no idea m8 but at least its out in the open, maybe somebody might
be able to give some more inputs.

Will share l8er if it worked, thank you for responding so quickly.