adonthell-general

Re: [Adonthell-general] configure.in:166: warning: macro `AM_PATH_SDL2'

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] configure.in:166: warning: macro `AM_PATH_SDL2' not found in library
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 15:28:18 +0100

2012/2/16 shirish शिरीष <address@hidden>:

See below.

> After a long time I tried to configure adonthell and was hit by this
> during the autogen.sh stage itself :-
[...]
> configure.in:166: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PATH_SDL2

That's the macro provided by sdl2.m4, provided it's in a location
where aclocal will find it (usually in /usr/share/aclocal/). If SDL2
is not present on the system, you'll get that error but configure
should still run. I believe I tested that case.

> configure.in:175: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PATH_SDL

That's the macro provided by SDL 1.2 and if you see this error, it
means SDL 1.2 is not installed properly either. With neither SDL 1.2
or 2.0 present, configure will definitely fail.

If you're sure that SDL 1.2 is installed, search for sdl.m4. If that's
nowhere to be found, you might need to install a development package
for SDL. If it's located somewhere else than the standard aclocal
directory, run 'aclocal -I /path/to/sdl.m4/' before running
autogen.sh.

In general, the aclocal stuff is still a bit of a mystery to me.
What's a good way to make sure people don't run into such problems,
especially for packages that are optional like SDL 2? OTOH, with an
official source tarball, the configure script is present already and
there's no need to run autogen.sh. But for people building directly
from GIT, how can autogen.sh be made more foolproof?

Kai