adonthell-general

Re: [Adonthell-general] Admin interface code

From: Micah J. Cowan
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Admin interface code
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 12:00:45 -0700

On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 10:32:37AM +0200, Kai Sterker wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 09:29:01 +0200 Alexandre Courbot wrote:
>
> > > What language, by chance, is the code written in that processes our
> > > diary entries? I'm trying to do something similar for myself on my
> > > Endor pages, but I realized that I needn't re-invent the wheel. If I
> > > can get the code, I may need to port it to Perl, if it isn't already
> > > in Perl, but that's no big deal.
> >
> > It's in Perl. You should be able to get it by checking in the website
> > module of the CVS.
>
> Yep, it's perl. Sort of. Actually it's
> tought-myself-perl-from-the-crappy-man-pages perl ;).

Hey, don't knock it! That's the same way I learned perl... 'course, I
probably had to re-read several of them, since there's an awful lot of
forward-references in there. But you can't get much more authoritative
(even the Camel book will be out-of-date in comparison, though *much*
more straight-forward and enjoyable to read). At the time, I had
plenty of time and zero money. How else was I gonna learn? :-)

(Yes, I'm still on-list. Sorry I haven't participated much, but I
quickly discovered that devlopment is with pre-GCC 3 stuff, which is a
little bit awkward for me. And then there's the issue of time... ;) )

-Micah