adonthell-general

Re: [Adonthell-general] Re:Inventory/Items

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Re:Inventory/Items
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 21:01:33 +0200

On Fri, 31 May 2002 10:09:20 +0200 Nils Fohrbeck wrote:

> Sounds Good. But why do we need to tie the information to a character?
> We could just say that in the adventure group all information is
> shared (open scource magic spells :-), so when a character leaves, the
> group keeps his knownledge and all characters can access the same
> knownledge. That way backpack items would not even be necessary (you
> could just learn/buy spells ect. in a dialogue).

I played with that thought as well. But what will happen if you have two
Half-Elves in your party for example? You can't just open the book and
use a spell as the program wouldn't know which character should cast it.
I think it is less confusing if it's tied to a single character.

The other point is that you can better personalize a single character.
To share all items between characters is simple a convenience function.
The player could do that manually as well, but it can be quite
cumbersome. But learning those spells and feats is character
development, and I personally think this should be tied to individual
characters.

It's simply a matter of strategy. If learning something new will benefit
the whole party for the rest of the game, the only sensible strategy is
to learn as much as you can. But if the party might lose that knowledge,
and when the knowledge only benefits a single character, more strategic
decisions have to be taken.

In other words, pooling the inventory just eleminates some unwanted
micro management, but pooling knowledge eleminates an element of
gameplay.

Kai