adonthell-general

Re: Re: [Adonthell-general] Re:Inventory/Items

From: Nils Fohrbeck
Subject: Re: Re: [Adonthell-general] Re:Inventory/Items
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 11:45:07 +0200

address@hidden schrieb am 29.05.02:
> On Wed, 29 May 2002 10:25:18 +0200 Nils Fohrbeck wrote:
>
> > Now ssome comments on alchemy. I was also thinking about how to store
> > the spells ect. In case of alchemy this is easy, the Alchemist's
> > Cookbook is a good idea. All the recepies could be stored in there. We
> > could even call it Inventor;s notebook and include recipes (Alchemy)
> > and (construction) plans (mechanics) in it. As far as their usage is
> > concerned we could just have a mortar (the mixing thing , not the
> > weapon :-))as an usable item in the players inventory. Whenever used a
> > dialogue window giving all the options as to which potions could be
> > brewed comes up. That way a character can make potions on the road,
> > but we do not have to make each recipe useable or define a new kind of
> > book.
>
> Hm. I thought of these books as a special part of the inventory, or
> maybe something that is seperated from the inventory. It serves two
> purposes
>
> The first is the same for all races. It simply is a reference that
> contains what runes/recipes/songs/spells the character knows, what they
> do and require. So each of them is merely a page of the book. It would
> contain an icon of the thing, a name and the description. (So each thing
> could be a normal item, but displayed in a special way).
>
> Apart from the reference character it would also be the interface to
> runes/recipes/... . As you said, a human might need a mortar. Using that
> mortar would simply bring up the book, where he can switch through the
> pages and activate the thing he wishes to brew. But he could also open
> the book directly and do some mechanics or potion if he has the proper
> equipment.
>
> For the song and spellbook it would work similar. Open the book and
> 'activate' a page to cast that spell. But a song or spell can also be
> assigned to an action-button in the same way you'd assign a potion for
> example. In that case, the icon of that spell or song would appear in
> the top right corner of the screen, as cirrus described.
>
> For a dwarf it is exactly the same. He can just open the book and
> directly activate runes that only require a goldsmith set (in case he
> has one with him). Using the goldsmith set, or the anvil would also
> bring up the book and he could select a rune and 'activate' is to
> enhance the equipped weapon.
>
> The feats could be just another section of that book. They'd come with
> an icon, name and description, requirements, etc. like any other item.
> They'd be used like spells with the exception that they can only be
> assigned to an action button.
>

> Maybe we could extend that book to a general diary with more sections.
> Automatical notes about quests and characters, a section with maps you
> may find or buy, maybe a section that allows the user to enter his own
> notes. Also some statistics about kills and such, and (why not?) the
> [...]

Sounds great! In fact I was thinking about a journal (for the quests) as well.
But the idea to to put it all into one big book is really good (I hope all the
ideas you described are not as hard to implement as it might seem). We could
just have this one book, which can be accessed by all the characters in the
party.

Nils