adonthell-general

[Adonthell-general] skills implementation

From: nilsfohrbeck
Subject: [Adonthell-general] skills implementation
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 13:07:02 +0200

Here is my suggestion for the implementation of skills ( with a slight
modification it should work for most skills). There are two types of skill
checks: fixed ones and variable ones. Sometimes it is very important to check
how well a character does in a certain skill ( mostly one time occasions which
are important for the plot such as: will the character be admitted into the
guild of arts?). In such cases I suggest the game should require a certain rank
in the appropriate skill (maybe entertain in this case), which means a
character will only be successful if he has the required rank. In other cases
(such as using the entertain skill to earn a free meal in the inn, a test that
can be repeated every evening, with different results each time), I think we
should have a variable value, such as a random value of 1 to 6 per rank (1d6,
for all those playing pen and paper RPGs). In this case a character with 3
ranks in entertain would have a value of 3*(1 to 6) and he would have to!
  beat a score of say 10 to impress his listeners. So depending on his roll,
some days he might be good enough to earn a free meal, while on others he would
have to pay for it. This could also be tranfered to the other skills such as
haggle:  while convincing someone to sell his only donkey for a reasonable
price would be a fixed check, while getting that little extra rebate on the 40
arrows I buy would only be a variable check (well, you get the idea). By using
these two types of skills, the game developers can easily controll, where
characters can be lucky and achieve something seemingly impossible, and where
they will still have to wait a few more levels (for example the door to the
dragon's den should only be opend by expierienced characters who are great
lockpicks, or who have completed all the required quests to earn the keys!).
Tell me what you think, Nils!