adonthell-general

Re: [Adonthell-general] Still can't get it running

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Still can't get it running
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 10:33:58 +0200

On Thu, 2 May 2002 17:33:49 -0500 Andrew Phillips wrote:

> I still can't get the demo running. It appears, though, that mine is
> an isolated case, since other people seem to be succeeding. I can't
> figure it out. Really, I don't even know where to start figuring it
> out. So, I guess I'll just fire off questions.

Okay, first of all make sure you are not running in 32 bit mode for now;
that seems to be totally broken (except for Kenneth ;).) If that doesn't
help, maybe the answer to one of your question does.

http://www.gnurou.org/adonthell-stuff/wastesedge.zip

> Does it matter where the extracted files are sent?

No.

> Should I be issuing the commands from the DOS prompt or will clicking
> on icons from Windows Explorer do the trick?

Use the dos prompt (adonthell wastesedge) or edit the link that comes
with the package. (The working directory must be set to the directory
you installed it to.) Directly clicking on adonthell.exe won't work.

> Which version of Windows was the game compiled under?

It's been compiled under Linux with the mingw32 cross-compiler. It's
been working on anything from Win95 to XP though.

> Will the binaries play well with legacy systems?

They should.

> Where is the README file?

There is none yet.

> Would the program exit prematurely, or do nothing at all, if I was
> doing something else with my sound card (like WinAmp?)

Under Linux it just disables sound in that case. I imagine it would do
the same under Windows. SDL is responsible for that, so I am not exactly
sure.

Kai