adonthell-general

Re: [Adonthell-general] Dialog engine and Fame (Was: Re: New map engine

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Dialog engine and Fame (Was: Re: New map engine implementation started! :))
Date: 08 Feb 2002 17:55:23 +0100

> Small question - I don't know much abot i18n and haven't got a clue what
> .mo files are - but will all this stuff support foreign character sets?
> I mean, will our text be in unicode format so someone can make a
> japanese version if they want or what?
> I just want to know because I was wondering what implications this has
> for our fonts....

gettext supports many encoding, including classic ASCII but also Unicode
encodings. This means that provided they have the proper font, anyone
could translate the game to Japanese or any other language.

.po and .mo files are straightforward to understand. See the info page
for gettext if you want more infos (you will certainly also find a few
tutorials on the web). The thing to remind about (just read a bit about
it) is that gettext only requires minimal changes to code and allows a
translation to be done without even a recompilation of the app. The Right Thing
To Do, in short.

Alex.

--
http://www.gnurou.org