[Adonthell-devel] charedit update

From: Andrew Phillips
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] charedit update
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 20:55:31 -0500

I'm still not having much luck tying my attribute and property classes into the existing rpg::character namespace (I suspect trying it on a machine I don't control may be an exercise in education futility), but rather than be stymied, I've continued to develop charedit as a stand-alone tool.

As it stands, the code is rough, and not yet ready for public scrutiny, but I intend to use this weekend to address it's shortcomings.

Some of these, like the absurdly busy calls to the methods for saving and displaying character information and the lack of handling for things like alignment, will be fixed when I can tie everything together and pass only one pointer.

Others, like the problem I'm having with loading characters from a file, will have to wait. I've accepted that the first release candidate just won't do that. Also, I'm developing it as an interactive, console application, so no graphics. Again, the consequences of not having root on the development machine. As a console-based tool, it should probably take command line input, but it doesn't. Not yet. I'm not sure it needs to, frankly.

Still others, like the absence of any skill or ability related functions, are a consequence of fact that those are really Items, not core attributes of each character.

The editor does the basics at this point (or will when I'm satisfied enough to submit it). The user can create any number of new characters, display information on the current character, edit the character to change attribute values, save character data out to a file named for the character, and quit the program. However, it's not yet possible to switch back and forth between characters. Once a character has been abandoned by either creating a new character or quitting the program, nothing more can be done with it.

I think I may hold off on setting up granular property editing until later. I should mention that I've added a wrinkle to the way properties are implemented. If it seems like a bad idea, or too much of a departure from the standing rules, I'll roll it back. I changed the way the current value of a property is computed. Before, properties were computed by multiplying the current value of the 'ruling' attribute by a set (and seemingly constant) number.

In my implementation, the current value of the property is found by multiplying the attribute value by a now-variable multiplier and adding to that a modifier. I did this because it occurred to me that with a variable multiplier and a small modifier value, special abilities can more easily have an proportional impact on a character's properties.

Andrew