Re: [Adonthell-devel] First 0.3 Windows binaries

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] First 0.3 Windows binaries
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 19:53:41 +0200

On 25 Apr 2002 18:09:41 +0200 Alexandre Courbot wrote:

> Allright, let's be a bit more serious now. Here are some details about
> the changes needed to get the Windows binaries to work.
>
> First, I haven't used to configure system (which produced too many
> trash) to compile this binary. Instead I worked in a separate
> directory with a manually written Makefile. I'll spend the next days
> to fix the building system so it supports mingw32 as well.
>
> The binary doesn't have nls support, because of (not serious) linking
> problems. This should be fixed soon though. It has full sound support
> however, and should run exactly the same way as under Linux.

Actually, I think the changes you made to nls.cc weren't neccessary.
When ENABLE_NLS isn't defined, all the gettext related functions are
defined to a noop in gettext.h. That should already suffice.

> I had to make some changes however in order for the Python scripts to
> work:

Uh, can it be that you forgot to commit some changes to the data file?
Right now, dialogues don't work at all:

    *** Error loading dialogue script dialogues/oliver_start
    AttributeError: 'dialogues/oliver_start' module has no attribute
'dialogues/oliver_start'

And 'make install' seems to be broken as well.

> Also, it looked like the extro didn't work anymore. Actually it
> appeared that the credits were not well displayed, because the gettext
> markers were
>
> _(("text", 1))
>
> instead of
>
> (_("text"), 1)

Ooops. Sorry!

> so I've fixed this as well. I'venoticed that we use two kinds of
> markers, _N and _, is it normal Kai?

Yeah. Those strings that are displayed in text_bubbles (and therefore
translated at runtime use _N(), while those strings that need to be
translated when the script is loaded use _(). The two functions are than
defined accordingly.

> Ah, also, the character portraits doesn't change dynamically like
> before, in dialogs like Erek ones. I guess this is a bug with the new
> dialog system.

Now that you say that. Right, the portrait change is no longer done from
the dialogue script, so it might be wise to add it to the engine instead
;). I'll do that.

> Ah, something else: weren't the Savannah guys supposed to move waste's
> edge CVS to Savannah?

They are. I sent the first mail two ago, and a second last weekend. They
haven't replied so far, so I guess they are just extremely busy.

> I guess that's about all. I just hope it will work as fine for you.

So do I. I made a quick test with win2k, but there were problems, as I
said in the other mail. I also tried running with the -g option, just in
case, but the result was the same. The window popped up for a sec,
nothing else. stderr.txt contains the following

    ImportError: No module named schedules.control
    ImportError: No module named init

but the files are definately there.