Re: [Adonthell-devel] New dialogue engine committed

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] New dialogue engine committed
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 10:31:34 +0200

On 13 Apr 2002 08:49:49 +0200 Alexandre Courbot wrote:

> I've found another tool, maybe more usefull, named xpot. Just the same
> as gettext, but it can read strings from many languages, including
> Python. I've done a bit of translation using it, working flawlessly -
> and it's so fun to see Waste's Edge in your native language! :) Along
> with TT fonts and Windows support, this will make a nice 0.3.3
> release, I say.

It sure does! Maybe not so interesting for people who played it already,
but it'll get us some more publicity, and hopefully some more artists.

What remains is to allow for translation of the rest of the strings:
A call to gettext in text_bubble.cc will cover plenty of text, but there
are a few strings left in intro, extro and main menu that aren't covered
that way. The problem is, if we translate them within their respective
scripts, Python 1.5.2 won't work any more, as it does not come with
gettext support. I don't really like this. So I think I'll add a little
function to the engine that does nothing but call gettext on C++ side.
That way, the version of Python won't matter.

I hope that is okay.