Re: [Adonthell-devel] New dialogue engine committed

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] New dialogue engine committed
Date: 13 Apr 2002 12:36:58 +0200

> What remains is to allow for translation of the rest of the strings:
> A call to gettext in text_bubble.cc will cover plenty of text, but there
> are a few strings left in intro, extro and main menu that aren't covered
> that way. The problem is, if we translate them within their respective
> scripts, Python 1.5.2 won't work any more, as it does not come with
> gettext support. I don't really like this. So I think I'll add a little
> function to the engine that does nothing but call gettext on C++ side.
> That way, the version of Python won't matter.

That's what I'd suggest as well. Never depend from libraries directly,
but having our own layer is good programming anyway. Not that I'd cry if
we drop Python 1.5 (I see plenty of cool reasons for using 2.2 - it's
really a great version if you read what's new), but as long as we don't
have critic requirements...

The gettext layer could make it into the base module, I think. i18n
should be integrated at the lowest level possible, for others being able
to access it. Moreover, it's light enough to be placed there, and
doesn't depend on other stuff, so I really see no other place :)

Alex.
--
http://www.gnurou.org