[Adonthell-devel] Re: i18n and python problem

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] Re: i18n and python problem
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 14:04:35 +0200

On Fri, 12 Apr 2002 13:31:25 +0200 Kai Sterker wrote:

> (One thing to try would be to change the LC_ALL to LC_MESSAGES).

It _did_ fix the problem! So writing this mail actually helped :).

I guess if you set LC_ALL to 'de' for example, this also includes the
representation of numbers and the like. And as you might know, floats in
german use a ',' instead of a '.', so I guess parsing those floats in
the random.py script failed with LC_ALL set. Odd, but true.

> > Which makes me think: With our distributions, it might be worth to
> > include the Python module files that are needed by Adonthell in the
> > 'modules' directory (games could include extra ones as well). That
> > way, Windows user (who probably don't have Python) will be able to
> > play out of the box, and we'll be sure everyone is playing with the
> > same files, which will make such debugging easier.

It's a good idea, but I am not sure whether it would work. What for
example would happen if we include the Python 2.1 modules, but a user is
running 1.5.2, or 2.2? That's not a problem if we link statically to
Python, which we'll probably do under Windows. But with dynamically
linked Python, it might fail.