Re: [Adonthell-devel] Map engine Tech Preview 2 ;p

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Map engine Tech Preview 2 ;p
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 20:39:36 +0100

On 14 Mar 2002 20:13:36 +0100 Alexandre Courbot wrote:

> > Right now it looks a little as if he is floating above the ground.
> > The shadow would probably be an animation on it's own. It should be
> > possible to use the same shadow for different characters though.
> > Unless their movement totally differs.
>
> My thought about the shadows were the following: each character model
> would have an integer indicating the size of its shadow. With this
> parameter, it is very easy to draw a (translucent maybe) black filled
> ellipse of the right size to do the shadow and place it where needed.
> Of course if we do so shadows couldn't be animated. But I don't know
> if it's necessary - the shadow is just a hint to know whether your
> character is falling or not, and where he is supposed to fall.

That's one thing, of course. But if you look at Crono you'll see that
the shadow adapts well to the movement instead of always being the same
size. That's a little extra work, but I think it makes a very nice
effect.

> Releasing should be easy. That's releasing with a full-featured game
> again that will be more problematic :) Maybe we could do some minor
> releases.

Hm. It wouldn't be too difficult to release some data to test the engine
with. It just wouldn't be very exciting. But I guess it is the way to
go.