Re: [Adonthell-devel] Map engine Tech Preview 2 ;p

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Map engine Tech Preview 2 ;p
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 20:06:12 +0100

On 14 Mar 2002 18:22:15 +0100 Alexandre Courbot wrote:

> As you can see, I've dropped my nice houses for some scaled gfxs from
> Waste's Edge. The most noticeable thing is that flat objects are
> handled correctly: no more base tile trick to be able to walk on
> things. It is also finally to have several layers of flat objects (see
> the rug). Also, you'll notice that the trees are placed with some
> offset parameters(when you look at their position from the grid). Such
> placement luxury fortunately doesn't cost more than non-offset
> placements. So eventually the fact that the map is a "grid" will be
> totally transparent to the player, as both objects and characters can
> be placed/moved on a pixel basis.

That is very cool. Finally, no more need for several mapobjects of the
same kind with different offsets! :) It seems we're finally nearing
perfection with the mapengine :).

> NG doesn't have a shadow for now, as they must be handled by the
> engine. had no time to worry about that ;) Also, there is still no
> collision handling. It will be much more difficult to handle, this
> time.

Right now it looks a little as if he is floating above the ground. The
shadow would probably be an animation on it's own. It should be possible
to use the same shadow for different characters though. Unless their
movement totally differs.

> Well, I guess that now I will stabilize the stuff and clean up a
> little bit. Then maybe I'll start some editors (yeah! you have
> correctly read!). Problem is, that Jol's new GUI won't be ready.
> Instead of using the old one, I suggest handling input/output from the
> console until I can do better (like in the old Genescroll days,
> remember James? ;)). Is it allright?

Sure :). I imagine the editor basics wouldn't depend on the gui anyway.

Looks like we're doing nicely. If we keep up that speed, we might even
manage another release this year. (I really want to believe!)

Btw, first sneak peek of localized dialogues foretold for the weekend
:).