ac-archive-maintainers

Re: cvs log: converted m4 sources to canonical format

From: Guido Draheim
Subject: Re: cvs log: converted m4 sources to canonical format
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 03:06:16 +0100

Peter Simons wrote:
> Guido Draheim writes:
>
>  >> The submitters can write into [the @category] field
>  >> whatever they want, or they can just leave it blank.
>  >> What counts is what the maintainer who commits the macro
>  >> into CVS writes into that field. Getting that stuff
>  >> right is our job [...].
>
>  > This is bogus - the repository file should be no
>  > different from the download file which should be no
>  > different from submission file [...].
>
> So you are saying when someone submits a macro and adds a
> line saying
>
>   @category Evil Space Nazis Destroyed Atlantis
>
> into the documentation, then we should distribute it that
> way?

No, I did not say that. If it does not belong to a
category you want then do not redistribute it. Ask
the submitter (!) to edit the macro - or edit the
macro and send it back to the submitter to show it.
Just make it so that everyone has the same - on
download, at the submitter, in the repository cvs.

> I think it would be better to edit it to say
>
>   @category Automake
>
> instead -- at least if the submitted macro belongs into that
> category.
>
> The idea behind categories in the Macro Archive is that the
> categorization helps the user, you know. Categories weren't
> added so that you can publish your favorite Haiku on the
> index page.

That hurts, please, just don't play stupid - the target was:
  Allowed @category syntax items in stored macro
                 =identical=
  Visible header names in the website listing

Question: Is there _any_ reason why you want them not to be
          identical? Why is it "Misc" in the stored macro
          instead of "Miscellaneous", why is it "C" instead
          of "C Support"?

aaarggh,
-- guido                  http://google.de/search?q=guidod
GCS/E/S/P C++/++++$ ULHS L++w- N++@ s+:a d(+-) r+@>+++ y++