ac-archive-maintainers

Re: licenses in generated m4 files

From: Peter Simons
Subject: Re: licenses in generated m4 files
Date: 18 Jan 2005 17:42:31 +0100

Alexandre Duret-Lutz writes:

 > Reread my mails after substituting "free-text" by
 > "plain-text" if you prefer. My point is that the license
 > should be spelled out fully in the file, and that
 > checking whether it is a known license is more easily
 > done by a human than by a tool.

I'm sorry, but that doesn't really change my opinion. I
don't want to check a spelled-out license for anything. Six
years worth of experience with accepting these submissions
tell me: People will modify the license's text if that
pleases them, they will screw it up, and it will have to be
judged and fixed manually. Since I don't have the time to do
that, I strongly favor a single keyword that identifies the
license -- and which can be verified by a tool.

Plain-text licenses (possibly in addition to that) are fine,
but then we'll need a volunteer who handles those
submissions because I don't want to do it.

Peter