ac-archive-maintainers

Re: licenses in generated m4 files

From: Bastiaan Veelo
Subject: Re: licenses in generated m4 files
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 23:53:53 +0100

Peter Simons wrote:

Bastiaan Veelo writes:

> [There] is no need to discuss this, because as has been
> pointed out before:

> "Every nontrivial file needs a license notice as well as
> the copyright notice. (Without a license notice giving
> permission to copy and change the file would make the file
> non-free.)"

(http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/License-Notices.html#License-Notices)

Well, my point is that the files (a) _are_ trivial because
they are just automatically derived versions of some other
file and that they (b) _do_ contain a license because there
is an URL pointing towards the page stating it.

For the definition of triviality in this respect, see http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/Copyright-Notices.html#Copyright-Notices: "Any file more than ten lines long is nontrivial for this purpose." The generated file is a derived work, and the process is therefore subject to copyright law and the license of the original. And a URL is really not the same as a copyright and license notice.

So if others really feel that strongly about this topic,
I'll make the necessary changes once I have a concrete
proposal that answers:

(1) How does the author choose which license his macro is
    under? How does the markup format specify this
    information? Who takes care of editing the existing
    macros to comply with this change (in case that will be
    necessary)?

I don't require any mention of license in the generated HTML page, although some may see this as a derived work as well.

(2) Which licenses do we accept?

Adopting the all permisive license as mentioned by others for the whole archive would be most practical. Make it a requirement for new submissions and contact authors for re-licensing.

(3) What does the generated m4 source look like for each
    respective license we support?

In generated m4 source the license should appear as it appears in the original. Example:

> dnl Copyright (C) 2002, 2005, Bastiaan Veelo
> dnl Copying and distribution of this file, with or without modification,
> dnl are permitted in any medium without royalty provided the copyright
> dnl notice and this notice are preserved.

But we can cut things short. If I am being a PITA, I propose to remove myself. I do not care much for markup, and I would like to see my macro distributed just like I write it. Then it has all the necessary legal stuff and documentation in it, and I am happy. Guido's archive looks like a perfect match to my desires (untill he catches the "generate and process virus" ;-)) so the easiest may be to take bnv_have_qt there and leave you in peace :-)

Sincerely,
Bastiaan.