Re: [Xlog-discussion] date format

From: John
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] date format
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2013 23:19:15 +0000

On 07/20/2013 07:28 PM, Andy Stewart wrote:
On 07/20/2013 11:47 AM, HA5OGL wrote:
On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 13:13:20 +0000
John <address@hidden> wrote:

My workaround, derived from an OpenOffice search, was to use
Find/Replace to change every " Jul " to ".7." (for example), then
change my Language Setting to German! LibreOffice then recognized
"19.7.2013" as a date, and I was able to change the cells' format to
"2013-07-19"... then revert back to English!

Come on... Is it you who should work, or the computers?

I'm too old to do that. Insted, I wrote up some code that does logging for
me. :-)

Levene
HA5 OGL

Hi Levene,

I'm trying to understand the usage model. I'm not understanding why somebody would export the log into a spreadsheet, when the logging software can more expertly manipulate the data. Can you describe a case where this is useful?

If the locale is set correctly for Germany, I expect xlog to replace "Jul" with the German word for the month of July. If that isn't happening, that's a bug I should probably fix. Is this a problem?

Thanks, and 73,

Andy

Andy,

Thanks for your reply, and for being kind enough not to point out that MY problem (I don't know about Levene's) could be an inadequacy of LibreOffice, not Xlog! I realized that just after sending my post.

I have many years' logs in the form of spreadsheets, with columns (fields) set up to mimic the ARRL printed logbooks I used in the pre-computer age. Besides the continuity, it's a fail-safe. Nothing against Xlog, but over the decades I've seen computer programs come and go and don't want important data to depend on any particular program. (Maybe ADIF exports would be OK for that, but there's still the historical continuity...)

The Cabrillo issue I'll address elsewhere... but if there's contest exchange data in the Xlog RST field and I want to create a traditional spreadsheet log with a standard RST column, there's a lot of manual work involved.

--John K3GHH