Re: [Xlog-discussion] mia 746

From: Eric S. Johansson
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] mia 746
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 07:23:08 -0400

Stephane Fillod wrote:

Hola Eric,

On Fri, Oct 24, 2003, Eric S. Johansson wrote:

I'm a glutton for punishment building my own CI-V interface and then trying out xlog in preparation for the cqww. Needless to say, I'm not having the best of luck. ;-)

I would recommend you "tlf" for HF contests, even though I still use xlog
for VHF/UHF contest :)

I was afraid you would say that. ;-) tlf and I have bumped noses more than once in the past. Personally, I find the contest definition portion impenetrable. It would probably make much more sense if I understood the structure of maintaining scores in contests that's yet another hurdle I'm climbing. Who the heck comes up with these lunatics schemes for multipliers etc. :-) seriously, I'm still trying to figure out how to set up things like state qso party logging.

At the very least, I really like xlog for basic stuff like general QSOs and for its tie in to gmfsk. It would be nice to bring it up to the same level of contest functionality as tlf. In fact, if I wasn't so overloaded with a couple of other open source projects, I would suggest building a common background (loglib?) and separating tlf and xlog solely on the basis of user interface (character versus GUI).

part of the reason I push for a full contesting gui log program is that if we're going to try and drag the rest of the ham community into Linux, we need to give them a lot of the visual flash that Windows has trained them to expect.

Seriously, I only encountered one major problem with xlog 0.8something. The drop-down list for radio control did not list an icon 746. What's the best way to get that turned on?

Ask for it? which you did :)
I've just added support for the Icom 746/pro in Hamlib [http://hamlib.org],
which is the control library used by xlog (and tlf BTW).
You will have to pull it out the CVS repository if you want to use it
for the cqww. If you're not familiar with CVS, you may wait for the next
release, and in the meantime, use the icom756 from the xlog drop-down list,
and set the config parameter "civaddr=0x56" for the Ic746 (only in xlog
0.9?).

oh, I'm quite familiar with cvs.  Enough to swear at every time I use it.

GL & see you in the contest (you may find my little pistol in the QRM :).

indeed. I will be operating as a two-person multi operator station at ka1rv which belongs to a friend of mine named Erik. so if you hear us, ask for Eric with a c.

---eric

--
Speech recognition in use.  Incorrect endings, words, and case is
closer than it appears