Re: [XForms] TrueType font support version

From: Jens Thoms Toerring
Subject: Re: [XForms] TrueType font support version
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2014 19:53:18 +0200

Hi Sergem

On Sun, Jun 22, 2014 at 10:03:56AM -0400, Serge Bromow wrote:
> Well I must say I like the new look. FYI;

;-)

> 1) We seem to missing the function "fl_set_form_icon_data".

That's gone AWOL, I can't remember having done anything about
it. Will be fixed.

> 2) The size of the fonts seem to be off by 1 size choice. That is to
> say a 10pt font looks like 12, 12 looks like 14, etc.

Well, that's one of the things that, unfortunately, have to
be expected. The sizes of the fonts are *now* correct (and
will be the same on each machine). With the old X11 font
system this always was a gamble: which font, and thus which
effective size, gets picked, depends on a lot of circum-
stances. E.g., if in your font path the fonts for 75 dpi
screen resolution come first, they are the ones getting
used even if your screen has about a 100 dpi resolution.

To make the transition easier I've now put in a function,
fl_use_bitmap_fonts(), that when called before fl_initialize()
results in an attempt to use the previous default fonts (but
still with ant-aliasing etc.). This also tries to mimic the old
behaviour of picking fonts. And there are also to functions to
set an additional scaling factor

void fl_set_global_font_scaling_factor( double factor );

void fl_set_font_scaling_factor( int    style,
                                                         double factor );

The first one scales all fonts, the second an individual
font (after applying the global scale factor).

> 3) The "Style" (fdesign) Shadow does not work and the label color,
> in my case, White font is now Black.

Seems to work for me - though I had to make the shadow darker
since it becomes a bit more obscured by the anti-aliasing
pixels...

> I realize these changes are in their infancy.

Well, there definitely still bugs (some weaknesses of the
library only come to the light wen you try to make maor
changes;-) And I also have to write a bit of documentation;-)

Please keep in mind that with the new version you have to re-
compile your program and pass an additional flag to the
compiler:

$(pkg-config --cflags freetype2)

This typically expands to '-I/usr/include/freetype2' which
is needed by the header file for Xft (unfortunately, but there
doesn't seem any way around this;-(

> I do believe this addition is worth while and applaud your efforts.
> I will continue to use the git as my source for testing and test as
> you inform us of changes.

Thanks, there probably will be quite a number new versions;-)
I'm still testing and fixing problems. E.g., the build system
needs some tweaking, at the moment it recompiles stuff on
installing. So there's still quite a bit to do before starting
with "real" testing;-) But feel free to doewnload the newest
version every now and then, I;m commiting new versions of the
ttf branch to the git repository several times a day.

                            Best regards, Jens