Re: [XForms] Font issues

From: Jens Thoms Toerring
Subject: Re: [XForms] Font issues
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2014 11:32:03 +0200

Hi Oskar,

On Mon, Jun 02, 2014 at 05:20:40PM -0700, address@hidden wrote:
>       thanks for your investigation. It looks like I have opened a
> can of worms ....

Well yes, but a can that was waiting to be opened for quite a
long time, given that TrueType fonts are suported for at least
a decade now. And the worms could be rather tasty;-)

> I have decided to use the following scheme in my application:
>
>     check for "adobe-helvetica":
>         if found, use it;
>         otherwise check for "misc-fixed":
>             if found use it;
>             otherwise the display will show whatever font the system
>                 substitutes for "misc-fixed"; and
>                 check for file ".xforms/lxoskope0.85" in home directory:
>                     if NOT found, show message GUI.
>
> The message directs the user to the UserGuide, where the font
> options are explained.
> The user can turn off the message permanently. The file in the
> .xforms directory might
> contain user preferences information in the future. And of course
> other XForms applications
> can have their own preference file in this directory.

I hope this works for you, but perhaps in the future this hassle
(both for you and the users of your programs) can be avoided.
Let's see...
                              Best regards, Jens

PS: Has anyone proposals which TrueType fonts, if possible avai-
    lable on most machines without any extar installations, should
    be used as default fonts for XForms?