[XForms] New pre-release xforms-1.0.93pre1

From: Jens Thoms Toerring
Subject: [XForms] New pre-release xforms-1.0.93pre1
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 00:52:24 +0100

Hi everybody,

    it has been pointed out to me by the Debian maintainers
that, while I changed the public interface (via changing e.g.
some of the internal structures like for FL_OBJECT), I didn't
bump up the "SO_NAME", i.e. the version number associated
with the library. This version number is important since a
program compiled against the header files from e.g. 1.0.90
won't work with newer versions of the library - and the
run-time linker recognizes from the SO_NAME which version
of the library it is supposed to use. So at the moment it
will try to use the newest version of the library despite
it being incompatible with he old versions.

A bit more background for those interested: If you look into
the directory where libforms.so is installed you will find
that libforms.so is just a symbolic link to libforms.so.1
where the "1" indicates the library version. Since the new
version isn't compatible with version 1 anymore we now should
have libforms.so.2 and libforms.so being a link to that - but
as long as libforms.so.1 is still around programs linked
against that version will continue to work without recompi-
lation, just using the old version automatically.

For those reasons not changing the SO_NAME when changing the
public interface was a mistake I made and to make amends I
have to use a new SO_NAME. In this process I also did a bit
of clean-up in the header files, removing members from struc-
tures that never were used and throwing out declarations for
functions that don't exist (like fl_basename() that "Luken-
Shiro" pointed out) etc.

But before I make a new release 1.0.93 I think it's prudent
to publish a new pre-release to give you a bit of time to do
tests. Beside changing the SO_NAME there are also a number of
fixes for bugs found by Werner Heisch, Jussy Elorante and
"LukenShiro", and a small improvement in the file selector
goodie (where in the file browser now a file name is automa-
tically selected fitting what you entered in the input field
at the botton of the form).

Since I think releasinging a version with a SO_NAME that doesn't
lead to problems for distributions like Debian is rather important
I feel we shouldn't wait too long with this or for more changes to
the library. So please do as much testing as you can find time ford
 and tell me if there are things that don't work!

The new pre-release can be downloaded (once it has made it to
the mirrors) from

http://download.savannah.nongnu.org/releases/xforms/xforms-1.0.93pre1.tar.gz

                            Best regards, Jens