Re: [XForms] thumbwheel.c demo and one removed function

From: Jens Thoms Toerring
Subject: Re: [XForms] thumbwheel.c demo and one removed function
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 02:02:45 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, Dec 09, 2009 at 05:27:53PM +0100, LukenShiro wrote:
> While porting demos/thumbwheel.c to python using my xforms-python
> wrapper I've noticed a segmentation fault / NULL pointer access in
> thumbwheel example.

Oops, you're right - never notoced that before!

> I think the problem is due to fl_get_select_item function.
> As choices are created in demos/fd/twheel_gui.c by fl_addto_choice, I
> guess using fl_get_choice is better.
>
> I've sent a diff file as attachment, to replace fl_get_select_item(..)
> call with fl_get_choice(..) call.

Thanks a lot, I will take a close look at what happening there.
I hope it's just what you found and not something even more evil...

> Also, I've noticed that fl_basename function is declared as extern in
> image/flimage.h, but AFAIK it has not been defined anywhere: maybe it
> has been removed, so should its declaration be removed from flimage.h as
> well?

Looks a lot like that. Unfortunately, over the years some garbage
seems to have gathered in the header files, some of them declarations
of functions that were only used internally and then vanished again.
This seems to be one of them (and I haven't gone through the stuff
in images/ with a fine comb yet). So if you find things like that
your very welcome to point it out to me to get rid of such stuff!
And in your effort you may find some more of this...

> P.S. FYI, as announced some time ago I have started a project on
> http://xforms-python.berlios.de for a python wrapper.
> The project is in alpha development state (as not all functions are
> really working and there are several limitations and problems).
> Anyway, except for getter functions with multiple return values, the
> syntax is somehow the same as XForms; and some simple demos
> from XForms are been ported, with some adaptations, and seem to be
> working.
> I don't plan to release any files (for the time being for now files are
> available in SVN), until I'll achieve some stabilization and I'll
> resolve some remaining problems with certain structures.

Sounds interesting! Perhaps I should start learning a bit of
python just to be able to play around with it;-) Once you're a
bit further with it and want to anounce it via the xforms-toolkit
web site (and have it mentioned in the documentation) please let
me know!
                                Best regards, Jens