Re: [XBoard-devel] SVG version of XBoard pixmaps for chess

From: Antoine Mathys
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] SVG version of XBoard pixmaps for chess
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 05:54:21 +0200

I wanted to release them in the public domain but my understanding it that I cannot since they are derived from a copyrighted work. Or maybe I can do that but then wouldn't a user still have to abide by the terms of the license of the work they are based on (i.e. the GPL) ? I confess that I find these legal issues annoying and confusing.

In short, I'd gladly put them in the public domain but you have to help me with the legalese. If you could send me an updated licensing header (found at the top of each file) which

1. Dedicate my work to the public domain
2. Clarify what license potential users (i.e. people unrelated to XBoard) have to abide to
3. Include a correct copyright notice,

I will upload a version with the new license.