www-he-editing

[Targnum-editing] Re: gnu homepage translation problems

From: the duke
Subject: [Targnum-editing] Re: gnu homepage translation problems
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 23:53:17 -0700

Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

Hi

Several remarks regarding http://gnu.org.il/ :

* The FSF is a Foundation, קרן, not an Institution, Mossad

a fund is a "קרן". foundation is "מוסד".
foundation is more close to the word "יסודות".
I initially used "קרן", but the fund argument convinced me.

* Corporate Patronage is not "patronizing corporate" and certainly not
 "Organized Patronage". It is "חברה מעניקת-חסות" or "חברה פטרונית".

seems you're right.
both can be possible, but your translation seems more correct.
that's what happens when the same person is translating and editing the same page.
I'll make sure someone else will edit the page and fix it.
thanx!

* The language sort order (in the bottom) remains by the English alphabet. But they should be sorted by the Hebrew alphabet.
That's a point we're still checking. we plan to move to language names in they're native characters, which will use the english order (since there is no standard way to arrange them). In case the native characters issue won't be resolved by august, we'll move to hebrew order.

* Shouldn't the word "FSF" on the top of the page be linked to the
 original English page?

It should be a link to the hebrew version of the page, if such exists, just like any page on the translated GNU site. The english version should be available through a language link on the translated page. Since the FSF page is the GNU page, it should lead to the translated page (or alternatively, not being a link).
That seems to explain the current situation. tell me if you disagree.

salut!
   the duke