wget-dev

wget2 | Multithreaded download: Change server probing behavior to better

From: Long Nguyen (@longnguyen2004)
Subject: wget2 | Multithreaded download: Change server probing behavior to better match browsers (#626)
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2023 16:22:40 +0000

Long Nguyen created an issue: https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/-/issues/626

Original issue at https://github.com/rockdaboot/wget2/issues/278

Chromium-based browsers, on media content (video embedded with the <video>
tag), send a GET request with `Range: bytes=0-` and discard the body, instead
of a HEAD request. I've seen servers that take advantage of it as a form of
anti-scraping. Specifically, they disallow the use of HEAD requests, and return
404 for requests that don't have a Range header.

I propose that we add `Range: bytes=0-` to every initial GET request, and then
check for 206 or the `Accept-Ranges: bytes` header to determine if segmented
downloading is supported.

https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/-/issues/626