web-hurd

Re: Hurd interview

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Hurd interview
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 12:31:51 +0100

Hi,

first, I don't think you need to CC address@hidden on each and every
mail.  Most of the time, their assistance is not needed.  You have
already found us.

At Thu, 3 Feb 2005 22:52:58 +0200,
NSK <address@hidden> wrote:
> I wonder whether it would be possible to have a short email interview about
> the Hurd? It would be published on http://portal.wikinerds.org - I think it
> would be interesting for the readers of the site.
>
> Who are the lead developers who have the time to answer to some emails?

The maintainers are Thomas Bushnell and Roland McGrath, the
co-maintainer is me.  Of us three, Thomas is not so active anymore,
but he started the whole thing.  Roland is usually very busy, so I'd
suggest me.  Of these three, I am also the only one working on the
port to L4.

The main developer on Hurd-on-L4 together with me is Neal Walfield,
who gave birth to the Hurd-on-L4 project (before, it was only an
idea).  Neal is currently not available, but should be in a week or
two.  He is also a good interview partner.

> simple questions, like
>
> - How did you become involved in Hurd?
> - What's your favourite texteditor/programming language/etc

Ultimatively it's up to you, but if you want an opinion, I'd say that
it is quite irrelevant what my (or anybodies) favourite texteditor is.
That sounds like cult.  A different, and in my opinion a hundred times
more useful question would be which tools have been important in
getting the done job done, and how they were used.

> - How many lines of code Hurd has?

Oh well.  We can find out. ;)

> - What does the free software philosophy means for you?
> - Describe the Hurd roadmap, what are the primary objectives for the future?

Thanks,
Marcus