vrs-development

Re: [Vrs-development] Distributed Filesystem

From: Chris Smith
Subject: Re: [Vrs-development] Distributed Filesystem
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 16:42:23 +0100

Yep - Bill and I thought of the RM as providing a Virtual File System.
However, it needs to be strongly derived from RAID technology so that there
is multiple redundancy across 2+ LDS's.

It may be worth noting that Goldwater domains are namespaced, and so you can
explicitly call a Goldwater LDS function at a particular LDS if required.
Thus, given an LDS function 'get_file_sector( ... )' , if a file sector you
want is at an LDS namespaced by bobs.lds.thingy, then the LDS wanting the
sector would invoke 'get_file_sector(), but implicitly specify
bobs.lds.thingy in the request.....
The RM just needs to keep track of what sectors are deployed where and
Goldwater along with some cunning abstraction will sort out the rest.

How we get file data distrubted and pushed around the LDS is another question
entirely........  Just thing of LDS's that come and go....... shudder........

Chris