Re: What actually are hypertext commands in vile?

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: What actually are hypertext commands in vile?
Date: Sat, 13 May 2023 10:20:14 -0400

On Sat, May 13, 2023 at 02:01:41PM +0100, Chris Green wrote:
> While, just now, mucking about in my .vilerc I saw the hypertext macro
> that has been there for ages (copied from help):-
>
>     22 store-macro
>         ~force execute-hypertext-command
>         ~if &not $status
>             ~force forward-character-to-eol
>         ~endif
>     ~endm
>     bind-key execute-macro-22 ' '
>
> So what does vile understand/see as a hypertext link?  I tried a few
> possibles (http://, file://) but nothing actually appeared to do
> anything.  Only file:// would seem to make any sense as a file to go
> to and edit.  Maybe I'm misunderstanding what it's supposed to do
> (very likely!).

It's only used for vile's commands (no web browser).

"execute-hypertext-command"     ^X-z
  ( run the hypertext command attached to the region under the cursor )

Kevin added that stuff a while back:

 (kev) 980403 (p)
        + vile.hlp: Added new sections "Writing your own filters" and
          "Hypertext".
        + x11.c (multi_click): Added code to execute hypertext command,
          when present, on a double click.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <dickey@invisible-island.net>
https://invisible-island.net