What actually are hypertext commands in vile?

From: Chris Green
Subject: What actually are hypertext commands in vile?
Date: Sat, 13 May 2023 14:01:41 +0100

While, just now, mucking about in my .vilerc I saw the hypertext macro
that has been there for ages (copied from help):-

    22 store-macro
        ~force execute-hypertext-command
        ~if &not $status
            ~force forward-character-to-eol
        ~endif
    ~endm
    bind-key execute-macro-22 ' '

So what does vile understand/see as a hypertext link?  I tried a few
possibles (http://, file://) but nothing actually appeared to do
anything.  Only file:// would seem to make any sense as a file to go
to and edit.  Maybe I'm misunderstanding what it's supposed to do
(very likely!).

Just curious really, I can't think of an application for me at the
moment.

--
Chris Green