Re: insert-string garbling characters

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: insert-string garbling characters
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2020 19:59:15 -0500

On Sun, Nov 29, 2020 at 04:21:24PM +0000, Thomas Dupond wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm just starting on exploring vile and I fell on something I
> cannot solve. I was trying to write a macro and while vile
> seems to handle UTF8 really well it doesn't seem to work well
> with the function *insert-string*.
>
> I can insert "é" but when I use "insert-string é" it prints this
> mess : ᅢᄅ

yes... scripting hasn't been as well-tested as interactive stuff :-(

> Any idea on how to solve this ?

Here's a fix for the most common case (it won't handle a special
case where the buffer is non-UTF-8), which should work for you.

also attaching a script I used for testing, e.g.,
        ./configure --enable-trace --with-builtin-filters && make
        ./vile @foo.rc makefile

> My locale is :
>
> LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
> LANGUAGE=en_GB:en

> I'm on debian 4.19 and I compiled vile-9.8 from source with

9.8's getting a little stale - 9.8u is current.

I put snapshots in github (but have too many concurrent things to
polish off 9.8v)

--
Thomas E. Dickey <dickey@invisible-island.net>
https://invisible-island.net