Re: paste-from-clipboard vs register ;

From: Gary Jennejohn
Subject: Re: paste-from-clipboard vs register ;
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2020 10:51:05 +0200

On Mon, 6 Apr 2020 23:14:57 +0000
Wayne Cuddy <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 03, 2020 at 08:27:19PM +0200, Gary Jennejohn wrote:
> > On Fri, 3 Apr 2020 15:45:42 +0000
> > Wayne Cuddy <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > > Using the latest xvile but I don't believe the version makes a
> > > difference.
> > >
> > > I know there is data in the clipboard.
> > >
> > > If issue :paste-from-clibpard it works as expected.
> > >
> > > Per the help doc.
> > >
> > >    The register name '.' contains the current selected text in xvile.
> > > Also in
> > >    xvile, the register name ';' is a synonym for the clipboard. Other
> > >    versions of vile permit use of '.' and ';' as supplemental register
> > >    storage.
> > >
> > > However when data is in the clipboard and I do ";p I receive 'nothing
> > > in register ;]'.
> > >

> > Right, '.'works but ';' does not.  So, it's either a bug in xvile or
> > in the help doc.
> >
> > --
> > Gary Jennejohn
> >

> '.' does not work either for me. I have something in the clipboard,
> start xvile and attempt to paste from register '.' I receive a similar
> message as for ';'.
>
> [Nothing in register .]
>
> Where as :paste-from-clipboard does work.
>
> Thank you for the response. It's not an issue for me since creating a
> binding, or using the defaults, for clipboard yank/put works fine.
> Maybe a good time to update the documentation at some point.

I see.  I tested by entering some text in xvile, highlighting it with
the mouse and then doing "'.P" to insert that text on a different
line.  In this case "';P" did not work.

If I highlight some text in a terminal to get it into the X clipboard,
which I can paste using mouse button 2 in another terminal, and
then start xvile not even paste-from-clipboard works for me.

But if I use one of the insert commands I can paste text from the X
clipboard using mouse button 2 in xvile and even in vile if I hold
down the shift key while hitting mouse button 2.

--
Gary Jennejohn