Re: Xvile command line option -xrm

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: Xvile command line option -xrm
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2019 10:23:17 -0500

On Sat, Nov 09, 2019 at 11:17:27PM +1100, Brendan O'Dea wrote:
> I don't recall having to use .Xdefaults-`hostname` in the past, but it
> certainly behaves that way now.  Maybe this is to support NFS mounted
> homedirs?  In any case, I can't think of a case where I've ever wanted to
> change the behaviour of an X program based on which host it was executed
> from.

The source code in X11 says that the library tries first to get
the settings from the X server using $HOME/.Xdefaults, _if_ it
had no data previously in the initialization.  Then it reads from
$HOME/.Xdefaults-`hostname`, if $XENVIRONMENT is not set.

The comments in the code refer to getting the resource manager database
during opening the X display.  I suppose you'd see this behavior if
"xrdb -query" shows any (string) properties -- actually I don't see
any output (using MacOS).  In a Linux "desktop", there's some output.

It's done this since X11R4.

> Consider using .Xresources rather than .Xdefaults: the former are loaded
> into the X server, so are linked to a particular display environment,
> whereas the latter are set based on the client.
>
> In my case, typically I care more about the server than the client for
> things like font size: for example, when using my laptop the resources are
> configured to suit a 14" screen at a particular resolution, and those same
> settings are used when I run xvile either locally, or remotely on my
> workstation over ssh.  When sitting at my workstation which has a somewhat
> larger screen, I want different settings configured in the X server.  By
> using .Xresources rather than .Xdefaults the same invocation of xvile
> behaves appropriately depending on where it is being displayed, rather than
> where was invoked from.
>
> For most desktop environments, ~/.Xresources should be loaded at login.

I use those sometimes :-)

> Note that if you make changes you will need to run xrdb to pick them up.

I don't do that :-)

(xrdb interferes with dynamic loading of resources by applications)

> See also https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/x_resources
>
> On Sat, 9 Nov 2019 at 10:02, Thomas Dickey <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Nov 08, 2019 at 12:34:14PM +0100, Gary Jennejohn wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm using Xvile 98.t and am trying to create a bash alias using
> > > -xrm to set various X resources.
> > >
> > > I'm doing this because I'm starting Xvile over a ssh login and
> > > for some reason the XVile settings in .Xdefaults are not being
> > > used by the Xorg server on the computer from which I'm logging
> > > in.  Using ssh -X does not help.
> >
> > man X tells me

Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
https://invisible-island.net