Re: Xvile command line option -xrm

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: Xvile command line option -xrm
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2019 18:01:22 -0500

On Fri, Nov 08, 2019 at 12:34:14PM +0100, Gary Jennejohn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using Xvile 98.t and am trying to create a bash alias using
> -xrm to set various X resources.
>
> I'm doing this because I'm starting Xvile over a ssh login and
> for some reason the XVile settings in .Xdefaults are not being
> used by the Xorg server on the computer from which I'm logging
> in.  Using ssh -X does not help.

man X tells me

       XENVIRONMENT
               Any  user-  and  machine-specific resources may be specified by
               setting the XENVIRONMENT environment variable to the name of  a
               resource  file to be loaded by all applications.  If this vari‐
               able is not defined, a file named $HOME/.Xdefaults-hostname  is
               looked  for  instead,  where  hostname  is the name of the host
               where the application is executing.

       -xrm resourcestring
               Resources can also be specified from  the  command  line.   The
               resourcestring  is  a  single  resource name and value as shown
               above.  Note that if the string contains characters interpreted
               by the shell (e.g., asterisk), they must be quoted.  Any number
               of -xrm arguments may be given on the command line.

Perhaps your ".Xdefaults" isn't linked to ".Xdefaults-hostname"

> The target computer has just enough of Xorg installed to allow
> Xvile to run.
>
> Unfortunately, the syntax required for -xrm isn't explained
> anywhere in the help file.
>
> Any examples on how to use -xrm?

It's borrowed from xterm, but actually is an X Toolkit option.

Here, "appres XVile" gives me a longish list, e.g.,

*menubar*foreground:    black
*menubar*borderColor:   grey
*menubar.hSpace:        1
*menubar.vSpace:        1
*menubar*background:    grey

and I could pass each of those as an -xrm option by quoting it,
e.g.,
        xterm \
                -xrm '*menubar*foreground:      black' \
                -xrm '*menubar*borderColor:     grey' \
                -xrm '*menubar.hSpace:  1' \
                -xrm '*menubar.vSpace:  1' \
                -xrm '*menubar*background:      grey'

but actually setting XAPPLRESDIR (mentioned just before the chunk I quoted)
lets one set up a directory where X will search for the "XVile" file:

       application-specific files
               Directories named by the environment variable  XUSERFILESEARCH‐
               PATH  or  the  environment  variable XAPPLRESDIR (which names a
               single directory and should end with a '/' on  POSIX  systems),
               plus   directories   in   a   standard   place  (usually  under
               /usr/share/X11/, but this can be  overridden  with  the  XFILE‐
               SEARCHPATH  environment variable) are searched for for applica‐
               tion-specific  resources.   For  example,  application  default
               resources  are  usually  kept  in /usr/share/X11/app-defaults/.
               See the X Toolkit Intrinsics - C Language Interface manual  for
               details.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
https://invisible-island.net