[vile] automatically setting tabstops

From: eclectic 923
Subject: [vile] automatically setting tabstops
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 14:09:41 -0800 (PST)

I've looked at the mailing list archive, and googled. I can't find the answer, and can't believe this hasn't come up before...

In vim, a line like the following in file foo.c will automatically set the tabstop to 4 when editing foo.c:

/* vim:set tabstop=4: */

Something similar exists for emacs.

Maybe it's obvious, and I just don't get it, but there should be a way to do this with vile?

Before I try to invent a way to do this... hasn't this been done before, and what's the solution?