Re: [vile] How to build if uname not available?

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] How to build if uname not available?
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 18:18:12 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 11 Jul 2011, Chris G wrote:

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 12:50:44PM +0100, Chris G wrote:
On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 07:25:16AM -0400, Daniel Ellard wrote:
On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 6:57 AM, Chris G <address@hidden> wrote:
I'm trying to build vile on a system where uname isnn't available, it's
on a Centos release 5.2 system.

./configure says:-
   configure: error: cannot guess build type; you must specify one

So how do I specify what configure needs?  Looking at --help it seems
that I need to set --build=<something>, but what's the something?

I can't reproduce your problem, since I don't have Centos, and I don't
know which version you're trying to build, but from the config on a
recent version it looks like

  --build=MACHTYPE-OSTYPE

(for example, --build=i386-linux)

could do the trick.

The fact that you don't have uname, however, is a bit weird.  The
versions of CentOS that I've used do have uname (and a quick google
suggests that 5.2 is supposed to have uname), and a surprising number
of things depend on access to uname so this might be a symptom of a
deeper problem.

It's a 'jail shell' so most things work OK and there is a C compiler
etc. it's just that there are some things disabled.

Is there any chance of finding a ready built vile for Centos release 5.2?
The executables on the system report as:-
    ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux
2.6.9, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.9, stripped

As it turns out this rpm:-

   http://ftp.crc.dk/fedora-epel/5/i386//vile-9.8e-1.el5.i386.rpm

Worked perfectly on the system in question so all I had to do was
extract the executable from the rpm and put it on the system.  Thus no
need to go through the pain of building it.  :-)

hmm - I'm assuming that the loadable filters load properly (for syntax
highlighting).  The problem I mentioned a few weeks ago happens for the
64-bit configuration since the library path isn't setup properly.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net