Re: [vile] How to build if uname not available?

From: Chris G
Subject: Re: [vile] How to build if uname not available?
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 12:50:44 +0100

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 07:25:16AM -0400, Daniel Ellard wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 6:57 AM, Chris G <address@hidden> wrote:
> > I'm trying to build vile on a system where uname isnn't available, it's
> > on a Centos release 5.2 system.
> >
> > ./configure says:-
> >    configure: error: cannot guess build type; you must specify one
> >
> > So how do I specify what configure needs?  Looking at --help it seems
> > that I need to set --build=<something>, but what's the something?
>
> I can't reproduce your problem, since I don't have Centos, and I don't
> know which version you're trying to build, but from the config on a
> recent version it looks like
>
>   --build=MACHTYPE-OSTYPE
>
> (for example, --build=i386-linux)
>
> could do the trick.
>
> The fact that you don't have uname, however, is a bit weird.  The
> versions of CentOS that I've used do have uname (and a quick google
> suggests that 5.2 is supposed to have uname), and a surprising number
> of things depend on access to uname so this might be a symptom of a
> deeper problem.

It's a 'jail shell' so most things work OK and there is a C compiler
etc. it's just that there are some things disabled.

Is there any chance of finding a ready built vile for Centos release 5.2?
The executables on the system report as:-
    ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux
2.6.9, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.9, stripped

--
Chris Green