Re: [vile] Question about regions

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Question about regions
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 18:21:59 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010, address@hidden wrote:

If I have a region selected using the 'q' operator and I don't wish to see it
highlighted anymore.  Is there a single key command that already performs
this?  Currently I just hit qq twice without moving the cursor. I know I can
create a map I just don't know if a command already exists for this.

no - there's no predefined key to do this.

A quick look at the code shows that functionality is implemented in a
private function release_selection(), that's called as a side-effect of
qq (selecting an empty region).  We could make that a bindable function...

If I have the cursor in the middle of a line and use a sequence like this
^X-d}.  The entire paragraph is deleted starting from the beginning of the
line on which the cursor resides.  If I use a sequence where I select a region
like so '-dq' this does not delete entire lines on which the region begins
and ends it deletes only the characters selected in the region.  What I'm
looking for is a type of block mode region selection where entire lines are
selected, I'm not looking for rectangle selection.

I use "2q" for selecting whole lines.  That's mentioned at the end of the
help for "q":

           Use the repeat-count to specify types of selection: exact=1
           (default), full-line=2, rectangle=3.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net