Re: [vile] local .vilerc handling

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] local .vilerc handling
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 17:31:09 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 15 May 2009, Paul Fox wrote:

thomas wrote:
> On Fri, 15 May 2009, Paul Fox wrote:
>
> > i haven't tried this in a long time, and maybe i'm just botching
> > it, but tracing and stracing make me suspicious:
> >
> > i have a particular directory of code where i need c-tabstop set
> > to '4'.  so i created a local .vilerc file:
> >    source /home/pgf/.vilerc
> >    set c-tabstop 4
> >
> > but this local file isn't being read.  strace shows me a call to
> > access() which shows it exists, but it's never opened.  the only
> > file read is $HOME/.vilerc (which happens with or without the
> > local file).
> >
> > does this work for others?  am i misremembering how this
> > should/could work?
>
> if the file's writable by other users, vile won't use it - see the
> is_our_dir/is_out_file checks in bind.c's cfg_locate function

bingo.  it was group-writeable.

not sure whether i think that check is too stringent, but i'm okay
with it.  a warning or trace message of some sort would be nice,
but also not a big deal.

probably a trace would be useful...

I'm not sure about a warning message - since I normally don't
have popup-msgs set, it would tend to get lost.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net