Re: [vile] Accented (and other extended) characters lost when pasting in

From: Brendan O'Dea
Subject: Re: [vile] Accented (and other extended) characters lost when pasting into vile, OK otherwise.
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 11:36:22 +1100

On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 8:13 AM, Chris G <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 10:01:26PM +0100, Paul van Tilburg wrote:
>> I am also struggling with the release system, since I accidently created
>> an upgrade path from 9.6-k1 to 9.6m-1.  While this may seem correct, the
>> 'm' is a upstream-side thing not a Debian thing, the patching was done
>> in Debian space.  So I'd like to continue doing this, now that I have
>> made this mistake but I was wondering if Vile could be released as new
>> upstream tarball next to the patch, so that I can tear down this
>> "Debian-space patching".
>>
> I'm not sure I even follow this!  :-)

Debian generally has an original upstream tarball, plus diffs.  Given
that the available original tarball for the current version is
actually vile-9.7.tgz, that gets shipped by Debian as
vile_9.7.orig.tar.gz (a simple rename), and patches 'a' through 'j'
are then applied and end up in the accompanying vile_9.7-j1.diff.gz
(the additional "1" caters for any Debian-specific changes).

What Paul is saying, is that if Tom were to provide vile-9.7j.tar.gz
then the process would be simpler.

--bod