viewmail-info

Re: [VM] VM and message-mode

From: Uday S Reddy
Subject: Re: [VM] VM and message-mode
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 01:43:20 -0400

Robert Goldman writes:

> I note that the VM manual states that it uses mail-mode, rather than
> message-mode for composing email.

Not exactly.  When you use VM, you get to use what you might call
vm-mail-mode, which is built on top of mail-mode.  To "use" message-mode
with VM, VM has to be modified to do that, which is on our To-do list but it
is of low priority at this point.

VM doesn't really "need" message-mode because it does its own MIME
processing.  So, until the basic SMTP protocol changes, we will be fine with
the existing mail-mode.  If Emacs stops shipping mail-mode, we will ship it
ourselves with VM, which is allowed under the GPL licensing.

> I'm using Emacs 24, where message mode is the default, which means that a
> rash keystroke can send me into message-mode, and message mode is better
> supported than mail-mode.

What keystroke can send you into message-mode?  You mean, if you run `C-x m'
before you load VM, you get message-mode?  If that is an issue, you might
want to bind `C-x m' in your .emacs.

Cheers,
Uday