trans-coord-devel

Re: whatsnew woes

From: Kaloian Doganov
Subject: Re: whatsnew woes
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 21:19:32 +0200

Yavor Doganov <address@hidden> writes:

    I can't see a way to handle this sanely.  The only solution seems to
    be dumb repetition of whatsnew.LANG.txt (manually
    maintained/translated) plus whatsnew.LANG.xslt (naturally, also
    manually "translated").

Here is another idea:

1. Drop `whatsnew.LANG.xslt' and `whatsnew.LANG.txt'.

2. Add targets to GNUN's GNUmakefile to treat `whatsnew.include' and
   `whatsnew.rss' as translatable special case "articles" (in XHTML and
   XML format respectively), like it treats `home.shtml'.  Since both
   files will contain similar stings, those strings are to be extracted
   into one common POT-file, say `whatsnew.pot'.

3. Produce `whatsnew.LANG.po' from `whatsnew.pot'.

4. Let translators translate `whantsnew.LANG.po'.

5. Produce `whatsnew.LANG.xslt' and `whatsnew.LANG.rss' when the
   translation is updated.

The only drawback that I see is that news items will appear untranslated
first, and will stay untranslated until translators catch up and GNUN
cronjob is run.