Re: Tramp Debugging and Network Performance

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Tramp Debugging and Network Performance
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2023 09:33:40 +0100

suarezmiguelc@icloud.com writes:

Hi Miguel,

> As this is a corporate connection, I would need to come with a
> technical explanation and proof of this, would these calls be enough,
> or can I debug further? <- I’m the only one using Emacs and Tramp, so
> I’m a specific case.

You could compare it with your local environment. Say, your local
machine and another machine closed to it run in your local LAN. And you
have sudo permissions on both machines. Then you could try

(find-file
"/ssh:user1@localhost|sudo:anotheruser1@localhost|ssh:user2@host2|sudo:anotheruser2@host2:/path/to/file"

Use proper user1, anotheruser1, user2, anotheruser2 and host2. Compare
the timings.

BTW, your debug traces have shown that Tramp tries to find git revisions
on the remote machine as well as project specific information. If you
don't need it on the remote host, suppress this functionality there, it
takes time.