Re: Shell-quoting issue for sshx/scpx on MS Windows

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Shell-quoting issue for sshx/scpx on MS Windows
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2021 09:56:31 +0200

Jim Porter <jporterbugs@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Jim,

> In TRAMP 2.5.0.1, the sshx and scpx methods were changed to use
> RemoteCommand for specifying, well, the remote command to run (see
> commit aaffd34492ea6168cc47c469799ac87aa5c052a9[1] for the actual
> change). However, this was specified as RemoteCommand='%l', which
> fails on MS Windows systems since they only allow shell-quoting via
> double quotes.
>
> I've confirmed locally that changing to double quotes, i.e.
> RemoteCommand="%l", makes everything work correctly. Obviously that
> isn't what you'd want on a *nix system, but even on MS Windows, I
> imagine this would fail for multihop cases (e.g. MS Windows -> Linux -
>> Linux). There might also be further issues with quoting if the %l
> placeholder is generated with sh-style quotes, but I haven't
> encountered any problems like that.

A few days ago I've changed sshx/scpx methods on MS Windows to use
powershell as local encoding shell. With this, the template
RemoteCommand='%l' seems to work well.

Would you mind to test it in your environment? Honestly, I'm kind of
restricted, because I don't run MS Windows on my machines.

You can either use Tramp sources from git. Or, if this is inconvenient,
I could provide you a pre-release of the upcoming Tramp 2.5.0.4.