Re: Shell-quoting issue for sshx/scpx on MS Windows

From: Jim Porter
Subject: Re: Shell-quoting issue for sshx/scpx on MS Windows
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2021 17:56:09 -0700

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 3:32 AM Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de> wrote:
> Yes, it is related. Powershell does not understand the "&& exit || exit"
> pattern, so I've changed it to "; exit". Likely, this is slower.
>
> So I've reverted the use of powershell in Tramp on MS Windows. Instead,
> I'm using the "double apostroph" quoting as suggested by you, and this
> works proper.

Good to hear this works for you as well. I tested locally with the
latest git revision on both MS Windows and Linux (including multi-hop
from MS Windows -> Linux -> Linux), and everything works as I'd
expect.

> Side remark: Since I don't use MS Windows myself, I heavily depend on
> reports of people using Emacs/Tramp there. Thanks a lot for your report
> and your suggestions, again!

I'm glad to be of help. Thanks for all your efforts in maintaining and
improving Tramp! It's consistently improved since I started using it
several years ago, and now works/performs just about as well on MS
Windows as it does on Linux.

> Could you pls pull the recent git sources, and check whether it makes a
> difference?

Everything seems good to me. I couldn't find any problems, and there's
no longer a hang when exiting GDB.

Thanks,
- Jim