Re: how to troubleshoot a slow connection?

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: how to troubleshoot a slow connection?
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 14:09:35 +0200

Rodrigo Amestica <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello Michael,

Hi Rodrigo,

> 19:13:00.899977 tramp-send-command (6) # echo \"$PATH\" 2>/dev/null;
> echo tramp_exit_status $?
>
> followed by a printout of my local PATH. After that it goes doing a 'test -d'
> on
> every entry of that PATH (22 entries in my case) plus other 12 path
> directories
> that are not really in my local PATH. The total time expenditure of that
> exercise was ~8 seconds.
>
> Why is it checking on the remote host my local PATH? Can I disable that?

Tramp checks all directories which are in the variable
`tramp-remote-path'. You can customize this via

M-x customize-variable RET tramp-remote-path RET

Likely, it contains the entry "Private Directories" (in lisp, this is
the entry `tramp-own-remote-path'). You could remove that,
this are the directories from your local $PATH variable.