Re: how to troubleshoot a slow connection?

From: Rodrigo Amestica
Subject: Re: how to troubleshoot a slow connection?
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 12:03:21 -0400

At Thu, 26 Sep 2013 14:09:35 +0200,
Michael Albinus wrote:

> Rodrigo Amestica <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Hello Michael,
>
> Hi Rodrigo,
>
> > 19:13:00.899977 tramp-send-command (6) # echo \"$PATH\" 2>/dev/null;
> > echo tramp_exit_status $?
> >
> > followed by a printout of my local PATH. After that it goes doing a 'test
> > -d' on
> > every entry of that PATH (22 entries in my case) plus other 12 path
> > directories
> > that are not really in my local PATH. The total time expenditure of that
> > exercise was ~8 seconds.
> >
> > Why is it checking on the remote host my local PATH? Can I disable that?
>
> Tramp checks all directories which are in the variable
> `tramp-remote-path'. You can customize this via
>
> M-x customize-variable RET tramp-remote-path RET
>
> Likely, it contains the entry "Private Directories" (in lisp, this is
> the entry `tramp-own-remote-path'). You could remove that,
> this are the directories from your local $PATH variable.

but as we discussed here

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2009-03/msg00540.html

the only setting I explicitly do is this

(add-to-list 'tramp-remote-path 'tramp-own-remote-path)

It seems to me that if I remove it then I will loose the functionality of having
my remote environment in place.

Yes, just tried removing tramp-own-remote-path and loosing my remote environment
is exactly what it happens.

It is still puzzling to me why to 'test -d'-ing for local directories in the
remote host.

Thanks,
 Rodrigo