Re: Access to repository-side files in version control repositories

From: Randy Yates
Subject: Re: Access to repository-side files in version control repositories
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2012 08:00:23 -0400

Hi Michael,

> [...]
> If you have opened a file under version control [...]

But that's just it - you can't. At least I've not seen a way to open a
file on a repository using emacs and the "standard" packages. Not
directly.
I know you meant a file in your working copy, but that sorta brings out
my point - what if you don't have a working copy of the repo? What if
you do but you don't want to have to visit a wc file first, then open
the repository-side file? What if your wc file has nothing to do with
the repository-side file you want to open?

Sure, I could check the file out into a wc, then visit the file, but
that's like saying you could scp a file over, then edit it - who needs
tramp?

In other words, there are great advantages doing this using the standard
visit-file mechanism of emacs, not the least of which is convenience,
but in this case much more.

Let me tell you where I'm going with this. If tramp provided the
requested functionality, then this would greatly enrich ediff. I could
directly ediff two files on a repository. In my work (and I think many
others'), this would be EXTREMELY useful.
--
Randy Yates
Digital Signal Labs