Re: Access to repository-side files in version control repositories

From: yary
Subject: Re: Access to repository-side files in version control repositories
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2012 10:48:43 -0400

On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 9:50 AM, Michael Albinus <address@hidden> wrote:
> vc.el has great support in working over revisions. You can apply "M-x
> ediff-revision", which does exactly what you want. And Tramp lets you
> apply this command also for "remote working copies", if you're
> interested in. Or you apply it for your local working copy, and vc.el
> brings you the different revisions behind the scenes.
>
> What do I miss?

I think the suggestion is "It would be good to run ediff (& anything
else) without even needing a working copy in any buffer. Just put in
the path to the repository, and the specific object in that
repository, and read it as if there was no local version- even if
there is a local working copy in $temp as part of the implementation."

It gets messy when the buffer is writable- one place where the design
becomes non-trivial...